Thursday, November 1, 2012

KHL November 1st 2012

As promised, I will begin blogging KHL games to make up for the lack of hockey being played in North America. Just a quick word to my Eastern European readers: I do not speak Russian, nor can I type in Cyrillic, so these English-language recaps are as good as it gets from me. Also, these are unofficial recaps, as stated on the KHL website in regards to the live reports. Additionally, the KHL goes on a break from November 5-13, so I will be off duty for those days for hockey as well. To the North American readers, this is far different from the hockey you're used to. The distribution of games is feast or famine; by that I mean there is either one game on (like today) or ten or eleven (like tomorrow). Some days it'll take me longer, other days this will be a short post. Without further adieu, I bring to you...

Sibir Novosibirsk hosting Lev Praha. Tending the twines (my, it's been awhile since I typed that) we have Jakub Stepanek for Lev and Jeff Glass for Sibir. Sibir got going in the first period on a power play goal by Maxim Krivonozhkin, powered by Alexander Nikulin. Lev tied the game on a Jakub Klepis goal, also on the power play, coming off of Ondrej Nemec and (Boston Bruins captain) Zdeno Chara. Sibir pulled back ahead in the second period with another power play goal, this time off the tape of Nikita Zaitsev, assisted by Andrei Nikitenko. Lev tied it again in the third period when former NHLer Marcel Hossa scored, and Tomas Surovy and Martin Skoula (another familiar name) picked up the assists. Sibir reclaimed the lead after Juraj Mikus hooked Artyom Voroshilo on a breakaway, and Voroshilo responded by converting his penalty shot. Sibir extended the lead with an unassisted Jonas Enlund goal. Sibir added on as Alexei Kopeikin potted the puck, and the lone assist went to Nikulin. Lev tried a late rally, as Klepis scored his second of the game, with a helper chipped in by Petr Vrana, but they got no closer and lost 5-3. Glass picked up the win and Stepanek suffered the loss. Now, for the North Americans, this is where the three stars would be presented, but since this is not tradition in the KHL (at least not to be listed in the box score), I'll make them up myself. Klepis gets the first star, Nikulin earned the second star, and Voroshilo takes in the third star.

I'll be back tomorrow with a large slate of games, so keep an eye out, and as always, follow me on Twitter @KipperScorpion.

No comments :

Post a Comment