Sunday, February 3, 2013

Super Bowl XLVII from New Orleans, Louisiana

The Super Bowl determines the NFL champion in every season since it's inauguration in 1967. This year, the game is in the Superdome in New Orleans, where the San Francisco 49ers and Baltimore Ravens do battle. Baltimore started in the first quarter with a Joe Flacco 13 yard touchdown pass to Anquan Boldin, and Justin Tucker supplied the extra point. San Francisco got on the board as David Akers made a 36 yard field goal. The Ravens shot back in the second quarter as Flacco tossed a 1 yard touchdown pass to Dennis Pitta, and Tucker booted the extra point. Baltimore extended the lead with a 56 yard touchdown to Juke-em' Jacoby Jones, and Tucker was true with the PAT. The 49ers got some back as Akers made a 27 yard field goal. The Ravens padded the lead as Jones returned the opening kickoff in the third quarter a record 109 yards for a touchdown, and Tucker made the extra point. The run was so electrifying, the lights went out during the next drive, causing a delay that could be called a second halftime (thankfully minus the Beyonce overload). San Francisco chipped back after the lights came back as Colin Kaepernick tossed a 31 yard touchdown to Michael Crabtree, and Akers knocked in the extra point. The 49ers pulled closer with a Frank Gore 6 yard touchdown run, and Akers again made the extra point. San Francisco kept closing the gap as Akers knocked in a 34 yard field goal. Baltimore padded the lead in the fourth quarter as Tucker nailed a 19 yard field goal. The 49ers got within range on a 15 yard touchdown run by Kaepernick, but the two-point pass attempt to Randy Moss failed. The Ravens gained some separation as Tucker kicked a 38 yard field goal. San Francisco got some "hey there" points when Ravens punter ran backwards through the end zone to kill the clock, resulting in a safety that made it 34-31, the final. The Baltimore Ravens are this season's Super Bowl Champions, and Ray Lewis can exit the game a winner, as well as possibly Ed Reed.

As usual, when a season ends, I like to make my plans known. It has been a great time working on the NFL in my second full season and third overall, and while there are ups and downs, it is always worth it in the end. As a blogger, the Thursday night games are great, but as a fantasy football manager, they can be a pain, to name just one example. Both of these activities are at a risk of being significantly reduced when I attend college. This likely means that I may have to miss part or all of the upcoming football season so I can focus on my studies. I've also alluded to missing the baseball season this year, and that remains a very likely situation. While it is not favorable to have to give up some of my work, it is necessary for my success in the future. I hope that you all, my readers, can understand that. I will continue to go with both the KHL and NHL through the ends of their playoff seasons. This means there will be hockey through June, but beyond that, I cannot say what lies ahead. I appreciate all of the support you readers give me, and I hope to be able to continue through the uncertainty to provide the same amount of coverage I have for over two years now.

Follow me on Twitter @KipperScorpion.

No comments :

Post a Comment