Monday, November 9, 2015

A Word From the "Editor"

As of today, November 9, 2015, I am beginning a transition for this blog. For fans of the old format, do not have fear. I will still provide the same daily score updates for all of the regular leagues I cover. I have invested far too much time into those to just let them go without a proper send-off. Instead, I will be expanding my content to include multiple opinion pieces a week. These will take a primarily American-centric slant, as my exposure and knowledge of the NHL and MLS far outpaces all I've learned in the last few years about the KHL and Barclays Premier League.

With that, I think it's fair to let the readers know about my biases a bit more. In the NHL, I'm an unabashed Flames fan enchanted by Jarome Iginla's Stanley Cup Final fight and the constant underdog status my favored Flames have to their more decorated (and longer-suffering) counterparts in Northern Alberta, the Oilers. For MLS, my Seattle heritage leads me to be a Sounders fan, eternal blue and forever green. I haven't quite been there since the start, but I still carry the pain of watching the Houston Dynamo eliminate the Sounders in their first foray into the playoffs in their inaugural year. For other leagues that may come up on here, I'm a split-loyalty fan in the NFL and MLB. I'm a Seahawks fan-critic and a Patriots fan-defender in the NFL. For MLB, I'm a Red Sox and Giants supporter, although not as avidly as I used to. I may begin to pick up coverage for the NWSL in their upcoming 2016 season, and I'm a pure Seattle Reign FC fan fresh off the heartache of losing to FC Kansas City in October.

While it's never totally possible to remove all biases, I will try to separate fandom and opinion as much as possible. I love those teams specifically, but I love the leagues they are in as a whole, with the rivalries and pointed banter that comes with being a fan. What you, the reader, can expect going forward is personal opinion on current topics. Sometimes I'll back it up with facts, and sometimes I'll just be letting off steam in a hot take. I do ask for a bit of patience as I find my niche and my voice. The optimistic cynic (is that even a thing?) in me believes that this transition may eventually lead to this blog's demise. If that happens, so be it. I've appreciated the five years of support I've received, and I always will enjoy the people who take time to click and read for a bit. With that, welcome to the era of Outsider Sports.

Follow me on Twitter @OutsiderSports0, and enjoy the future shameless self-promotion.

No comments :

Post a Comment