Wednesday, August 30, 2017

Washington Spirit VS. North Carolina Courage: August 30, 2017

There's just one midweek NWSL game this time, but before I get into that, I'd like to thank everyone who has stopped in to read this blog over its now 3,000 posts. This post brings me to that big milestone, just a few months shy of when I first started on here. I'm not sure how much longer I'll be an independent writer on this blog, but I will let everyone know where my writing career takes me when I know more. With that, let's get to the game.

The Washington Spirit host the North Carolina Courage. Katelyn Rowland and Didi Haracic protect the nets. Washington led off in the eighth minute with an Estefania Banini goal, on a rebound after Rowland spilled a shot from Cheyna Williams. In the twenty-third minute, the Spirit's Cali Farquharson took a yellow card for a foul on North Carolina's Kristen Hamilton. In the forty-fifth minute, Tori Huster of Washington took a yellow card for fouling Hamilton as well. The Courage capitalized on the free kick with a Samantha Mewis goal, a flick-on header assisted by Abby Dahlkemper. Early in the second half, the Spirit's Estelle Johnson left with an injury. North Carolina took the lead in the sixty-first minute with a Jessica McDonald goal, via Jaelene Hinkle on a free kick that McDonald won against Washington's Shelina Zadorsky. North Carolina added on with a McDonald goal in the sixty-sixth minute, made possible by Lynn Williams. The Spirit got one back with a Cheyna Williams goal, helped along by Francisca Ordega and Meggie Dougherty Howard. The final held at 3-2, with McDonald named woman of the match. Also starring for the Courage were Taylor Smith, McCall Zerboni, Mewis, and Lynn Williams, while the Spirit's best were Alyssa Kleiner, Banini, and Cheyna Williams.

Follow me on Twitter @OutsiderSports0.

No comments :

Post a Comment